Lock, stock, and …

Ok, back to Sindragosa tonight. It didn’t go too well last week, but I’ve made some roster switches and some strategy tweaks and I think we’ll have a better shot at her tonight.

Last night was a huge pain, with the game seemingly intent on neutering my goal of killing all farm bosses (10/12) and having a clean slate for Sindra tonight. We had a few roster switches on the way to Saurfang, thanks to various emergencies popping up. That delayed us a bit. Then, when we finally downed Saurfang the door to the Upper Spire wouldn’t open. Awesome.

I herded everyone out and we jumped to Naxx to kill Razuvious for the weekly while I ran a 20-minute timer awaiting a soft reset. After 20 minutes we went back and (thankfully) the door was now open. But that was 20 minutes behind on the clock we then were.

Everything went swimmingly, including BQL, which we three shot. And the two wipes before were enrage wipes with 1-2% of her health to go. We probably could have killed her the first time if I didn’t get DI’d. I was planning to just bubble and taunt and hope the dps killed her during fixate. No dice though, my DI (while well-meant) just made me drop aggro and let BQL blow everyone up. Of course, I blame myself but the true fault was with people who died in the second air phase or whenever and made us miss the enrage. I know mistakes happen, but gah.

Anyway, I’ll digress for now. Let’s focus on the positive: not one mind control in any of the three attempts. /bask

We dropped BQL with about thirty minutes left in raid, if we were going to 10 server time. So 30 minutes for Rotface/Festergut/Putricide. Eek. I chain pulled more or less to Rotface, we quickly one-shot him, then dodged over and dropped Festergut post haste. That was done at around 10 server though, so I more of less begged people to not drop so we could hopefully kill Putri rather than forgo his loot.

Amazingly, we one-shot the good doctor as well. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Raid redundancy is key

We’re a casual guild, we don’t enforce mandatory attendance percents, people are generally free to come and go as they please, though the more consistent people are favored for invites. One of the huge issues we’ve had in the past though was, with the old system, we protected the spots of about 30 people and didn’t invite or gear beyond that. And, after time some burnt out or stopped showing up and we brought in new faces but we were totally screwed a few months ago when we were getting 7-8 no shows a night from the core.

To prevent this from happening in the future and killing raids, I started recruiting a lot more folks, to the point where we have about 40 raiders now that can come in and keep me confident I’m not hurting the raid. And we still have about 8 people or so night to night who can’t make it, and thanks to the redundancy in the system we haven’t missed a raid night since I started bringing in those new recruits.

Last night we had three different people drop because of various emergencies–one crippling lag, one a friend in a car accident, and one not explained but it sounded urgent. I had plenty of folks on standby though and the only delay was in summoning a standby person to come in. The system worked.

But, part and parcel to this, people need to go on standby sometimes. And sometimes, the standbyers need to be the vets or officers. The system can’t work if it isn’t fair, you know? One officer I had on standby last night bitched to me for no end since he saw on Sunday night he was on standby for Tuesday, and this was the first time in… well, since the new system was instituted that he was benched. And this was for one night.

Last night when the raid started the bitching did not cease. He sat in vent and sarcastically shot little snarks across my bow about his position. The kicker? This guy’s a frigging officer, and he was conducting himself like this. I had half a mind to at least demote, at most gkick, and wash my hands of this. If you’re an officer you are supposed to set a frakking example for the members. How will they react when they see an officer bitching in vent over being benched for one goddamn night? Ugh.

Like a nail in the head, I need that.

Let’s dance, Sindy

I alluded to some strategy changes earlier in this post. They are basically minor tweaks to ameliorate issues we had with people getting hit by Blistering Cold more than I would like. For example, if people don’t have a run speed enchant or talent, they need to get Tuskarr’s Vitality. And a hearty facepalm if they didn’t already have some kind of speed boost. Especially, the dps. Likewise I’m making sure ranged dps/healers stand behind the melee rather than at max range.

Also, I’m asking everyone to bring two pieces of Frost Resist gear. That might be overkill, but my main goal is to make it to the enrage with everyone alive then dial back survivability until we find the right balance between that and dps.

I think we have a better shot of Sindragosa tonight. We know the fight a bit more, I’ve cut anyone from the raid tonight who was a constant disaster last week, and the increased focus on survival should bear fruit. I hope.

Alright, let’s do this.

14 Comments to “Lock, stock, and …”

1. zelmaru 5 May 2010 at 12:42 pm #

It absolutely drives me nuts when people think “casual” means “I always have a spot when I want it, but when I can’t make it, that’s cool.” No. If you want a static always-have-spot group, you join a hard-core-ish guild and you can’t just not-sign-up when you don’t feel like going. If you want to be able to raid only when it suits you, you have to be prepared to NOT-RAID when it doesn’t suit you. Sorry, those are the breaks. That officer needs a spanking.
    zelmaru’s last blog ..[Cataclysm] Dual Specs in Cata – What combos make "sense" My ComLuv Profile

• Rhidach
      @Rhidach
      5 May 2010 at 1:25 pm #

My advice, basically, was don’t sign up for raids if you can’t handle being benched once in a while. The street goes both ways.

2. Tweets that mention New post: Lock, stock, and ... - -- Topsy.com

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rhidach. Rhidach said: New post: Lock, stock, and … – http://tinyurl.com/2ugyuyx [...]

3. Hana
    @HanaMoonfire
    5 May 2010 at 1:33 pm #

When I was an officer in a 25-man guild, I volunteered to be put on standby from time to time. I’ve always been an advocate in leading by example. And I actually found being on standby to be a bit relaxing. I could take a vacation from raiding without feeling like I was letting people down.

I don’t recall what loot system your guild uses, but my former 25-man used EPGP, which can be set up to award points to people on standby. It took some of the sting out since even if people weren’t in the raid and actively working towards loots they would earning points that could be spent later when they did go.
    Hana’s last blog ..We are Kingslayers My ComLuv Profile

• Rhidach
      @Rhidach
      5 May 2010 at 1:48 pm #

We give 100% dkp to standby people provided they stay on in some capacity and we can grab them if needed. Or, they get 10% just to check in at start time and make sure raid is full and they’re not needed. There is no penalty to being on standby except for not raiding and not getting the badges/possible loot. It’s not a death sentence like this guy’s tantrum made it out to be.

4. Orthien
    @Orthien
    5 May 2010 at 3:56 pm #

I’d be interested in hearing how you handled that officer, I have one that while not that bad still doesn’t act in a way an officer should.
    Also how do you handle whos on standby is it sorted at invite time or organise it prior to raid on calander?
    Orthien’s last blog ..Little Brother? My ComLuv Profile

• Rhidach
      @Rhidach
      5 May 2010 at 4:03 pm #

We use the calendar–people sign up for posted and raids and I change statuses on sunday to confirmed for 25 people each day. The rest are marked as standby.

5. LabRat 5 May 2010 at 5:41 pm #

Last ICC fresh run, I spent ten minutes arguing with my raid leader how it was possible to bench me for a raid I wanted to go on only to find out the guy who would have taken my slot was more interested in the hockey game he was watching than going that night anyway.

To me it’s part of being an officer; if it’s possible to fill that person’s role, then how can we ask consistent people that show up for everything they sign up to prepared and ready to go to sit on the bench if we aren’t willing to ourselves?
    LabRat’s last blog ..The Mythical Mighty Consecrate My ComLuv Profile

• Rhidach
      @Rhidach
      6 May 2010 at 10:36 am #

Exactly! I’m glad there are still a lot of people that get that. Officer doesn’t mean you get special privileges.

• zelmaru 6 May 2010 at 10:38 am #

If Mr. Officer wants to commit to leading the raid every week, I’m sure he’ll have a spot :) otherwise, no special treatment. Haha.
        zelmaru’s last blog ..Real ID: Dear Readers, Please Don’t. My ComLuv Profile

6. Tankadin 5 May 2010 at 9:10 pm #

Your set up would drive me nuts. I’d rather guarantee a spot to a smaller stable of players and pug or grab someone from a friendly guild than ask anyone to sit

• Rhidach
      @Rhidach
      6 May 2010 at 10:37 am #

You say that but one day you’re going to be missing a large group of people and a raid won’t be able to happen. Unless you’re paying those 24 other people to raid, it’s really hard to guarantee they’ll always be there. Also, I refuse to pug because it’ll severely screw with our dkp system and present the possibility of loot going to someone outside the guild.

7. Queldan 6 May 2010 at 1:31 am #

Damn. Serious bummer there. I haven’t had the “pleasure” of such reactions myself. Honestly: if he’s an officier, he probably did a lot of good in the past. Unless he’s one of those “best friend of the GM/another officer” type (I need to get rid of those in my own guild – GAH).

Anyway, a firm reminder of why the rules are what they are and the advantages of the system should be sufficient (alongside a good night’s sleep to blow steam off – we all have our bad days).

If not, honestly, a fair ultimatum is in order: unless you are made to accept the unfairness of the rules on a guild-wide level, the rules SHOULD stand, and be equal for all members. Not happy with the way the guild runs? Door’s over there. Rules shoul be felxible, but not to the point that they rubberband anytime someone throws a tantrum.

And GL on Sindie, We’re in the same predicament as we speak, but we’re having more problems with people panicking on P3. I’ll prolly force a front claw/rear claw switch to create a simpler environnement to understand and use.

That and FrR equipement for everybody :p

• Rhidach
      @Rhidach
      6 May 2010 at 10:50 am #

Eh I wouldn’t go so far as to say he did a lot of good in the past, haha. More like he was grandfathered in.